Windows Phone® Basics
Create great apps.
Windows Phone 8 is the new mobile platform from Microsoft that is cross functional with Windows 8. It is built on top of Windows NT kernel and shares the file system, media foundation, device drivers, and parts of the security model with Windows 8. Developers who are working on Windows 8, will be able to easily move their apps to the phone platform. Likewise, those who have already developed apps for Windows Phone 7, will be able to easily move their apps to Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.
Windows Phone 8 includes the following key features and enhancements:
- Multi-core processor support, up to 64 cores
- Native code support, full C, C++ support
- Multi-tasking enhancements
- Multi-resolution support
- NFC, Wallet Hub, in-app purchase
- BYOD - device encryption, better security, remote management, company hub and apps
- Speech recognition, integrated VoIP
- Support wireless updates at least 18 months from device launch date, with developer early access.
- Windows Phone Store supports 50 languages and 180 countries
- Windows Phone 8 SDK and Visual Studio based development tools
The Windows Phone Dev Center has everything you need to create great apps and submit them to the Windows Phone Store.
- Get familiar with the Windows 8 operating system, download the Windows 8 Release Preview; or download the Windows 8 RTM if you are an MSDN subscriber.
- Register with the Windows Phone Dev Center by creating a developer account.
- Learn to build Windows Phone Apps and access the Windows Phone Dev Center for the latest free tools, community support, and educational resources.
- Already a mobile application developer on other platforms? Learn how to ramp up quickly on the Windows Phone development platform with the Windows Phone Interoperability Guide.
- Already built a mobile application for an earlier version of Windows Phone? Learn how to future proof your app and ensure it works great on Windows Phone 8.
- Stay tuned for the official release of Windows Phone 8 SDK and related tools
- Microsoft Windows 8 developer resources.
- Windows 8 developer blog: provides practical techniques, tips, and tricks to help in the design of your Windows 8 app interface by guiding you through the design language.
- Windows Phone 8 developer community.
HTC Featured Windows Phone 8 series devices: