Android 2.3 Update for HTC Desire
This update is only recommended for expert users who want to experience Android 2.3 and understand the limitations which apply to this update. Due to memory constraints several applications have been removed from this update and we are only offering the ROM upgrade utility (RUU) for you to download. Please note that flashing this ROM will erase your previous customizations, including any messages, emails, contacts, and other personal information. We suggest you take advantage of your Google account and other backup solutions available on the Android Market to ensure you do not lose your personal data. Your SD card will not be erased or modified.
The major changes in this update include:
- All customizations, including operator applications, will be removed.
- All wallpapers, except the default wallpaper, will be removed and placed on the HTC Developer website.
- Several HTC applications will be removed and placed on the HTC Developer website.
- The official Facebook application will be removed and is downloadable on the Android Market.
Included in the .zip file:
- Official HTC wallpapers
- Official HTC applications: Teeter, Flashlight
- Official HTC Desire Android 2.3 ROM upgrade utility
- Instructions for the ROM upgrade utility.
Note: This ROM update is for development only and not for general public use. Upgrades to non-compatible variants of HTC Desire (listed below) may result in loss of functionality and certain functions may no longer be usable after re-flashing the ROM, including but not limited to MMS and SMS. HTC and Operators disclaim liability for unusable functions, the loss and/or leakage of any personal data resulting from the re-flashing of the ROM.
Exclusions: The following regional variants are not-compatible with this upgrade: Germany (Deutsch Telekom), North America, South America, South Korea, Japan, Turkey, and Arabic language speaking countries in the Middle East.
- Is this the official update for HTC Desire to Gingerbread?
Yes, this is the official update for HTC Desire to Gingerbread.
- Will this release remove the ability to send SMS / MMS like in the disclaimer?
Only certain regions, specifically the ones listed below, will have some functionality removed. For the majority of regions, there is no impact to your SMS / MMS functionality.
- Why is this only for developers?
Due to the complicated nature of the update we suggest only expert users proceed. We have provided the update in as user friendly way as possible and also included the instructions in the download file but we were unable to provide the update by our usual over the air method.
- When can I download the upgrade for my phone?
You can still access the download at http://htcdev.com for the upgrade for your phone, unless you are in the regions listed below.
- Will HTC issue an over the air (FOTA) for HTC Desire update to Gingerbread?
No, this downloadable RUU is the official update to your phone. The update required that we conserve space by removing customizations and wallpapers, we had to release the update as a downloadable update.